Dog training is an intricate and very important practice in this day and age, not many people have the time to train a dog and, therefore, keep a peaceful household. Although this is unfortunate in some aspects, this creates a problem and therefore a job: Dog training. Being paid to work with such wonderful animals is a blessing in itself, however there are several things that need to be done before just anyone can jump into such a wonderful practice. There are training sessions and certifications to be had, there are skills to be developed, there are hardships to overcome, and finally there are the parts to love about the job. Training dogs is overall a rewarding and vital career in society. However, the training and certification is a must.
When it comes to being trained in this field, there is actually a lot that goes into the seemingly simple practice. There are many different positions that dog trainers need to fill such as training shelter dogs, being a personal trainer, pet sitting, or pet nutrition. According to “A Short History,” dog trainers used to be self taught from the limited supply of books there were, and there was no true certification to prove the aptitude of the trainer themself. Nowaday things are very different, there is a conglomerate of different skill sets that need to be developed in a classroom as well as with experience. This may come to be a surprise to some, but dogs can’t talk! To understand the language of the furry critters, there are classes to take. One of the primary classes to take is animal psychology, to train the minds of any animal it's necessary to understand what's going on in their heads. It’s important to know the body language and what specific barks or noises mea...
... middle of paper ...
...quickly for their skull to handle, causing pain and aggression; for example dobermans and dachshunds” (Marion Frix). In such cases it is only humane to put the animal to permanent rest with euthanasia. Fortunately this generally is not the case, as it is only a worst case scenario. Although there are bad times, mostly dog training is a rewarding and fantastic career.
For every hard time there are ten good times to make up for it. Watching a destructive puppy become a functioning part of a loving household is a wonderful feeling. Knowing that I made a family's life easier and ensured a dog’s place in a household is also a great relief. So long as I keep in mind there is nothing that can dissuade me from doing my part in a dog's life, I will be happy with what I do and be good at it. Overall dog training is a wonderful and rewarding career that I am excited to pursue.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Dog training has changed in technique throughout the years in addition to the importance of a well-trained dog. Many dog trainers, at least new ones, can be short tempered, which causes them to have issues with their dogs which can lead to abandonment. There are two main techniques in dog training, rewarding good behavior and disciplining bad behavior. There have been many studies suggesting a correlation between the actions of the owners reflect the behaviors of the dog. However, disciplining bad behavior is still a strong technique in the dog trainer community.... [tags: Dog, Dog breed, Dog health, Psychology, Behavior]
1924 words (5.5 pages)
- Many people believe that dog training is hard. Many also believe that some dogs are simply not trainable. Both of these views are wrong. The truth of the matter is this: all dogs are trainable, and training a dog doesn't have to be hard work. Indeed, training a dog can be fun. It is of course true that some dog breeds are easier to train than others. What we disagree with, however, is the assertion that there are dogs which can't be trained - because that is so untrue. What we venture to explore then, are some of the things you need to do, in order to get the training of your dog right.... [tags: Dog, Training, Dog breed, Reinforcement]
1354 words (3.9 pages)
- How many people own a dog. Who trained the dog. Dogs come in all shapes and sizes, but it takes a special dog to be a hunting aid. Labrador Retrievers are one of many retrieving dogs and do well around guns, water, elderly people, and children. Owning and training a dog is beneficial to people because it builds companionship and the dog can be used as an aid in hunting. There are many different things people have to do to keep their dog healthy. The first one is feed them a little better quality dog food instead of the cheapest food found out in stores.... [tags: good qualit dog foos, walks, swimming]
1437 words (4.1 pages)
- In the 1980s, operant conditioning began to influence many animal training techniques, and the shift from dominance training to PRT began. The dominance method is still slowly being replaced by the positive reinforcement method as researchers continue to better understand animals and their behavior (Eberhart, n.d.). Where dominance training uses punishment for its effectiveness, PRT uses rewards and praise to achieve a desired behavior. A behavior is rewarded by giving the animal something it wants or likes in order to increase the likelihood that the desired behavior will continue to occur (Veeder, Bloomsmith, McMillan, Pearlman, & Martin, 2009).... [tags: Reinforcement, Operant conditioning, Dog training]
1329 words (3.8 pages)
- Pet Training Idea - Leash/Collar Training When you're discovering something new, it's simple to feel overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of relevant information readily available. This useful short article should assist your focus on the main points. There are several styles of dog training, and discovering the one that works best for you is necessary for developing a dog who is a skilled, devoted and faithful family member. All effective techniques of dog training work to strengthen the relationship between dog and handler, and the structure of any effective training program is earning the respect of the canine.... [tags: Dog, Pet, Canine tooth, Dog health]
725 words (2.1 pages)
- Are you thinking of one day becoming a dog owner. You may be considering getting a dog in the near future or maybe you know someone that is looking to add a furry friend to his or her family now. One of the biggest decisions after deciding on getting a dog is where you should get it. When you begin your search, you will find there are many places you can get a dog. Pet stores, shelters, rescue groups and breeders are the most popular. I want to tell you why you should adopt a shelter dog rather than buy from a breeder.... [tags: Dog, Neutering, Animal shelter, Estrous cycle]
1164 words (3.3 pages)
- Welcome to the fun, fascinating experience of training a German Shepherd. Are you serious about the commitment you are considering. What does your schedule look like. Do you have obligations that will take you away from your puppy. Depending on how you answer these questions will help you determine whether a German shepherd is the dog for you. They are sweet, protective, and loving animals, but only if they are trained the right way. They need a lot of time and attention during the training process.... [tags: German Shepherd Dog, Dog, Hip dysplasia]
1182 words (3.4 pages)
- People of different ages, young and old, will love having a dog or a pup around. They even treat them as their best friend. Nevertheless, you must also think of the possible consequences that come with owning one. Effective Dog Training is necessary for your dog and you should understand you have to make an effort to socialize your dog. You have to expose your dog to the outside world, so that it will not intimidate other people. There are dog-training techniques you can follow so that you can handle it easily such as dog whispering, reward training and clicker training.Knowing these techniques all will make Effective Dog Training easier to manage.... [tags: Reinforcement, Dog, Dog training]
1569 words (4.5 pages)
- This current paper will examine how to effectively training adult employees in the workplace. This is a question that is asked by trainers all the time and will be discussed throughout this paper. Some might say that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks, but this has been proven to be an incorrect statement time and time again. Organizations are not just trying to get work done; they also have the purpose of human development. Organizations have realized that everyone in the organization is affected by training.... [tags: Learning, Psychology, Reinforcement, Skill]
1821 words (5.2 pages)
- Guide Dogs What Exactly is a Guide Dog. As I look around, it seems as though it is raining puppies and dogs. Can you guess where I am. No, it is not the humane society. Give up. I am at a training facility for guide dogs, where everywhere, including the office, there are dogs being played with, spoiled with love, and working hard with their trainers. Now that I have given you a mental picture of what a guide dog training facility looks like, you might like to know what they actually do there. At least that is what I wanted to know.... [tags: Blindness Dog Training Papers]
2154 words (6.2 pages)