Generation Me: The Generation of Millennials
General Statement to introduce the topic:
For every few decades, a new generation is formed, each of which is hard to define. But when certain features are considered, they allow me to group together cohorts of people based on when they were born, what they bring to the world and the legacy they leave behind.
Harness to state the problem:
However, my generation, the millennials, are being identified by the accusations of being entitled, narcissistic, and lazy as evident in Simon Sinek’s interview about the millennial question. Considering that each generation of its own has its own flaws, I disagree with Sinek and his claims about millennials.
Throughout his interview, Sinek utilises dysphemism to make matters sound worse when in reality, my generation is just as flawed as every other generation as seen through the impacts of the economy, the enhancement of technology, and the change of social standards.
Areas of direction/arguments:
1. Impacts of economy
2. Impacts of technology
3. Impacts of social standards
Note: There does not need to be three arguments. There must be a minimum of two arguments per essay.
Topic Sentence (body paragraph 1):
One of the biggest criticism of my generation is that millennials are entitled. I just want everything handed to me. I want high wages for the little work I have done. Or as how Sinek stated,
Proof/Quotation from text:
“They were told that they were special, all the time. They were told that they could have anything in life just cause they want it” (Sinek).
Analysis of Proof:
But one thing previous generations, more specifically, baby boomers can...
... middle of paper ...
...omplains about the upcoming youths, as if they were once perfect. Through my view, I stand against Sinek’s claims on the millennials due to the fact that he does not persuade me, but to evaluate how the influence of growing inflation, the improvement of technological devices, and the impacts of social standards have shaped my generation.
Summary of arguments/points:
While noticing how differently the economy has changed throughout the past few decades to changing the ways of social interaction and technology, it is reasonable to conclude that the behaviours of millennials are shaped based on the times one lives today.
Sinek, Simon. Interview by Tom Bilyeu. Inside Quest with Tom Bilyeu. “Simon Sinek on How to Get People to Follow You”, 27 Sept. 2016, https://youtu.be/vudaAYx2IcE. Accessed 01 July 2017.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ESSAY OUTLINE- Personal Essay Generation Me: The Generation of Millennials INTRODUCTION General Statement to introduce the topic: For every few decades, a new generation is formed, each of which is hard to define. But when certain features are considered, they allow me to group together cohorts of people based on when they were born, what they bring to the world and the legacy they leave behind. Harness to state the problem: However, my generation, the millennials, are being identified by the accusations of being entitled, narcissistic, and lazy as evident in Simon Sinek’s interview about the millennial question.... [tags: Generation Y, Minimum wage, Want, Need, Behavior]
1219 words (3.5 pages)
- Exciting Generation of Millennials Millennials are “the most threatening and exciting generation since the baby boomers brought about social revolution” (Stein). I was born in 1999, so that makes a millennial. Coming in after the Gen X, millennials were born from 1980 to 2000. Most millennials are children of the baby boomers. The millennials are known for being a very self-absorbing age group; they describe us as “shallow, selfish, and lazy”. But yet, who made us like this. Growing up with the technology and parent influence, we were told to be the best and that we are the special and beautiful no matter what.... [tags: Generation Y, Demographics, Generation X]
1234 words (3.5 pages)
- A generation is a group of people that shares age, years, location, and special life events. Each generation has markers, such as historical events, that affect the entire generation (Phillips, 2016). Generation diversity in nursing helps to create an entire, complete team by bringing together people with various moral and ethical perspectives. The current generations that make up teams in nursing today include Traditionalists, Baby Boomers, Generation X, and Millennials. Although bringing together these different generations creates a blend of clinical expertise and experiences, conflicts and challenges often arise because each group holds diverse outlooks and considers different qualities... [tags: Generation Y, Generation X, Baby boomer]
1656 words (4.7 pages)
- There are many different types of students who each learn best in their own way. Throughout the decades of each generation, however, there have been certain preferences for how and what is taught. Looking back on certain generations, these preferences have uncovered core values of the members of each group. These values often differ from generation to generation, but sometimes they coincide and simply differ in the application. One example of two groups that have divergent values is Generation X, people in their late thirties to early fifties, and Millennials, people in their early twenties or thirties.... [tags: Generation X, Generation Y, Sociology, Generation]
1067 words (3 pages)
- “The Dumbest Generation” is a title no group of people want to behold. Nonetheless, people under age thirty have been given this belittling title. To those who go off questions about obsolete general knowledge rather than the ability to take in and evaluate knowledge, this title may seem quite fitting. However, Millennials aren’t quite as dull as they’ve been perceived to be. The ability of Millennials to absorb information, rather than know general facts, and their use of contemporary technology as reading and writing resources has proven that they are quite an innovative and bright generation.... [tags: Generation Y, Dumb, Stupidity, Generation X]
786 words (2.2 pages)
- Millennials Let Loose in America In 2016, Millennials are the rising generation next in line to take over America like the Boomers. Characteristics of the millennials shape their decisions and beliefs about society, politics, and culture and overall effect the United States as a whole. The leading characteristic of the millennials is narcissism which can help to decipher what the generation will do and the effects on the world. While millennials can be seen as selfless, the generation has more narcissism than previous years that negatively effects America through religion, living arrangements, and marriage.... [tags: Generation Y, Strauss and Howe]
1044 words (3 pages)
- The upcoming generation, millennials, are a new type of generation. They have proven to be the most educated generation, despite the hard times in the economy. Yet they still face criticism from their elders on their work ethic. Although they seem to all be lazy and not interested in working, not all millennials are like that. They just have different values in life, and balance work life with free time. Millennials have faced a lot of criticism on their work ethic, which has many questioning do millennials have a strong work ethic.... [tags: work ethics, lazy narcissistic, tech addicts]
1436 words (4.1 pages)
- The pampered Generation The Millennial Generation also referred to as Generation Y is the largest generation. They make up 30% of the population. This generation was born in the last years of the 20th century. Born between 1980 and 1995 this generation is 22-37 years old. The generation of young adults is constantly criticized on their lifestyles and upbringing. They are easily considered the worst generation. Millennials are considered the worst generation because they are lazy, pampered and useless.... [tags: Generation Y, Demographics, Strauss and Howe]
1252 words (3.6 pages)
- The 21st century has brought great change and advancement in all aspect of life for mankind across the world. From the creation of high-tech gadgets to innovative ways of basic living, millennials have had a huge engagement in the works of creating such things. They have brought change and advancement through ways in which mankind has never seen before. On the contrary, past generations believe that Millennials are bringing negativity and corruption into the world. The article "The Beat-Up Generation" by Abby Ellin says that " Millennials are, arguably, the most reviled generation in recent history, and armies of consultants are hustling to decipher them.... [tags: Generation Y, Generation X, Demographics]
1087 words (3.1 pages)
- In his May 2013 editorial for Time Magazine, “Millennials: The Me Me Me Generation,” Joel Stein explains his viewpoint on millennials, defined as people born 1980 through 2000. Using an occasionally humorous tone, Stein summarizes the typical bleak view that older people have for the younger generation, before offering what he believes is closer to the truth. In the end, he decides that while millennials are not without their flaws and vices, a lot of the fears that older people are mostly due to the advanced technology that we are now dealing with.... [tags: Generation Y, Narcissism]
989 words (2.8 pages)