Wouldn’t you know it, this is the first time Steve has ever bought me dinner and I was too nervous to eat it.
Ladies and gentlemen, before I start, I've been asked to make a couple of announcements. Firstly, the hotel manager has asked me to request that, for reasons of health and safety, none of you are to get up on top of the chairs and tables during my standing ovation. And secondly - following the speeches, Steve's brother, Richard, will be singing us that lovely old standard, ‘I'm dancing tonight with tears in my eyes, cos the girl in my arms is a boy’. But first, it's time for me to make a speech and, at the same time, probably a complete ass of myself.
It's traditional for the best man to let the bride's parents know what sort of a man has married their daughter. In this respect, I might as well start at the beginning, because Steve and I have been through a lot together - in fact, we were just saying earlier how glad we are that none of them have turned up today.
Steve Messerli came into the world in 1973, the year of the Watergate scandal and the year in which 'The Exorcist' was first released. So it's true - bad things do come in threes.
But Steve was a fun-loving and happy child, always smiling mischievously and getting most fun from taking the tires off toy cars. How little did he know that many years later he would again be trying to remo...
... middle of paper ...
...wn Steve, she's already one of my best mates, and the unanimous decision of everyone who knows Steve is that, 'the boy done well'.
So I would like to take this opportunity to wish Steve and Linda all the health happiness and success in the world. Having got married myself last year, I can say with authority that marriage is a wonderful thing. It will teach Steve loyalty, self restraint, control, and it will develop in him a sense of fair play, selflessness and so many other qualities he wouldn't need if he had just stayed single.
So Ladies and gentlemen, I would ask all those that are still able to, to join me in being upstanding and raising a toast to the new Mr and Mrs Messerli - to Steve and Linda!
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Humorous Wedding Speech by Friend of Groom Ladies and gentlemen, thanks Gary for those kind words. It has been a pleasure for all us attendants to play a small part in your big day. Before I say a word or two about the groom, what about that dress Jeanie is wearing. It has attracted so much favorable comment from the guests here that I have to give it a special mention. You look stunning Jeanie. When Gary asked me to be his best man I immediately thought of the speech. I saw it as an opportunity to talk about a great hero of mine… a wonderful, handsome, kind-hearted man who is admired by many.... [tags: Wedding Toasts Roasts Speeches]
816 words (2.3 pages)
- A Humorous and Heartfelt Wedding Speech Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen - I would like to start by thanking Frank on behalf of the bridesmaids for his kind comments and echo the fact that they look wonderful and performed their role fantastically well, despite the inevitable and healthy rivalry that can sometimes occur. In fact, just before the service I overheard a furious sisterly argument about who was going to be first to dance with the best man. Understandable, I thought - until I got closer and heard them saying, 'You!', 'no, you!' I've known Frank for the best part of 20 years now and of course there are plenty of things I could tell you about what we got up to in our younger da... [tags: Wedding Toasts Roasts Speeches]
597 words (1.7 pages)
- Humorous Wedding Speech for a Sister of the Groom Ladies and Gentlemen you'll be pleased to know I am only going to speak for a couple of minutes because of my throat..... if I go on too long Angie has threatened to cut it. However, before I begin, on behalf of John and Angie I would like to thank everyone who has helped to make this the special day that it is - and I think we can all agree it has been splendid so far. Well, I knew it would be difficult to follow a speech made by John and I was right ....... [tags: Wedding Toasts Roasts Speeches]
929 words (2.7 pages)
- Humorous Wedding Speech – Two Best Men Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen. For those of you that are wondering why there are two best men standing up here, it’s perfectly simple. Arthur wanted to appoint a best man for the occasion, but sadly couldn’t find one, so he got two barely competent ones instead. So before I start, let me clarify the ‘role’ situation. Dennis, Arthur’s university friend and very trustworthy, was responsible for carrying the rings in church. I am Steve, Arthur’s childhood friend and very good with lager (beer).... [tags: Wedding Toasts Roasts Speeches]
784 words (2.2 pages)
- Humorous Wedding Speech by a Friend of the Groom Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen - I must admit to being rather nervous about today's speech. As it’s a family occasion, the last thing I want to do is cause offence by talking in too much detail about Brian’s colorful past. I’ve therefore decided to edit out anything that might cause offence. So thank you very much and have a wonderful evening. Sit down. Laughter. Stand up and continue. I read somewhere that you can flesh out your speech by researching which famous people were born the same day as the groom (bridegroom), and make some sort of link.... [tags: Wedding Toasts Roasts Speeches]
442 words (1.3 pages)
- Humorous Wedding Roast by a Friend of the Groom Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen – I'd like to start by saying that what a genuine honor it is to be part of Norman's wedding. I appreciate that I am just one of many equally suitable close friends that he could well have chosen. But I know he looks upon me as the older brother he never had, and I look on him as the younger brother I never wanted. So here I stand with this great opportunity to reveal to all, Norman’s past misdemeanors. So I could trot out the usual stories; like when he woke up in a football field wearing a red thong and swimming goggles.... [tags: Wedding Toasts Roasts Speeches]
561 words (1.6 pages)
- Humorous Wedding Speech by a Friend of the Groom Good afternoon, Ladies and Gentlemen. I would first like to thank you all for coming today and helping to make Marcus and Adrian's wedding such a memorable and special occasion. Personally, I wish you'd all stayed at home and made my job less nerve wracking. When I was asked to be in the wedding party I decided that I needed to know what the role entailed. I have now read several books, and all of them include a last minute checklist to guarantee a smooth wedding.... [tags: Wedding Toasts Roasts Speeches]
760 words (2.2 pages)
- Humorous Wedding Speech by a Friend of the Groom Good evening, Ladies and Gentlemen. My name is Robert. As they were speaking just now, it struck me how much David and his new father-in-law now have in common. After all, it's the first time in 25 years that Arthur has been able to speak for 10 minutes without interruption from the women in his family. And it'll be the last time in 25 years that David gets to do the same. So I sincerely hope he treasures this moment. But it is great to finally see David with a ring on his finger as he learned a long time ago that you cannot make someone love you.... [tags: Wedding Toasts Roasts Speeches]
709 words (2 pages)
- Humorous Wedding Speech by a Friend of the Groom (Bridegroom) Good afternoon, Ladies and Gentlemen - My name is Charles. I've tried to memorise this speech, but forgive me if I resort to my notes every five seconds. I did ask for an autocue to be set up in front of me, but apparently the wedding budget doesn't stretch that far. And, unfortunately, neither does my eyesight. Laughter I've known Steven for 22 years now and we've had more good times than I can remember - and we'd have had a one more if I hadn't run out of money in that strip cub on the other night.... [tags: Wedding Toasts Roasts Speeches]
563 words (1.6 pages)
- Humorous Wedding Speech by an Old Friend of the Groom Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen Let me first say that the bridesmaids look absolutely smashing today, and only rightly outshone by our bride, Pamela. And, I'm sure you'll agree with me gentlemen, today is a sad day for single men, as another beauty leaves the available list. And ladies, I'm sure you'll agree that today's passing by without much of a ripple. I've known Robert for the best part of twenty years and of course there are plenty of things I could tell you about what we got up to in our younger days.... [tags: Wedding Toasts Roasts Speeches]
767 words (2.2 pages)