Essay PreviewMore ↓
The groom has used the wedding date as a source for funny lines, comparing their marriage with celebrity couples for comic effect.
While preparing this speech I thought it would be interesting to see if any celebrity couples had been married on the same day as us. Paul Simon and Carrie Fisher wed in 1983...and split up after 9 months. Oh dear.
Also, Madonna married Sean Penn on this day in 1985; and we all know the outcome of that.
Unlike the latter, while Lisa is "Like A Virgin," I plan to "Cherish" her forever and I am not afraid to 'Justify My Love." There's always the "Hanky Panky" to look forward to. There are children present, so the less said about "Get into the Groove" the better.
We have been together for nearly ten years, and it's been the happiest decade of my life. We first got together at a Halloween party, where she was dressed up as a witch's cat and I was dressed as a crazy axe murderer, I was instantly smitten with that kitten I can tell you.
She stuck with me through my scabby student days, and she's even managed to suffer living with me for five years. At home, we’re the perfect team - I mess up the house and she tidies. I affectionately call her my Mrs. Mop.
In 1998 I popped the question, so like Elvis's toilet door Twenty-five years ago, we've been engaged for a long time. Today she's made me the happiest man on earth, she's my bride and joy. And I think you'll all agree she's done a superb job organizing today almost single-handed.
Please join me and raise a glass to my beautiful bride. To the bride!
We'd like to thank the bridesmaids for all their help in the preparation for today, and I think you'll agree they look fantastic. We have some gifts for you.
(Hand gifts to them and toasts)
To the bridesmaids.
We’d like to say a big thank you to our moms for all their love and support over the years. You've both been really good to us. So please join us in a toast. To the moms.
Big thanks to the best man, my dear brother. I’m not sure I should give you the gift now with your speech pending. This man had the easiest job on the day, or perhaps he just made it look easy.
How to Cite this Page
"Humorous Wedding Speech by the Groom." 123HelpMe.com. 17 Aug 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Humorous Wedding Speech by the Groom The groom has used the wedding date as a source for funny lines, comparing their marriage with celebrity couples for comic effect. While preparing this speech I thought it would be interesting to see if any celebrity couples had been married on the same day as us. Paul Simon and Carrie Fisher wed in 1983...and split up after 9 months. Oh dear. Also, Madonna married Sean Penn on this day in 1985; and we all know the outcome of that. Unlike the latter, while Lisa is "Like A Virgin," I plan to "Cherish" her forever and I am not afraid to 'Justify My Love." There's always the "Hanky Panky" to look forward to.... [tags: Wedding Toasts Roasts Speeches]
546 words (1.6 pages)
- Humorous Wedding Speech by the Groom It is apparent from the opening few lines of this speech that the groom has an excellent relationship with the bride's parents and this can be really useful, not just in the future, for obvious reasons, but it can also make the speech more humorous. This speech is also a good example of using events in history that happened on the same date as a source of humor. Thank you for those lovely words. I'd like to remind you that you're not so much losing a daughter, but regaining three closets (wardrobes).... [tags: Wedding Toasts Roasts Speeches]
966 words (2.8 pages)
- Humorous Wedding Speech by the Groom Thank you for your kind words, I am very proud to be your son-in-law; I hope I can live up to your expectations. I would sincerely like to thank you for welcoming me into your family, for bringing up such a lovely daughter, and for giving me your blessing to marry her. In addition. due to the number of phone calls between my wife and her mom, the phone company would also like to thank you both. On this date in history in 1889 the Boer War ended, and maybe after my speech you'll think it's started again, although this day will go down in history as the day you all heard the best ever speech.... [tags: Wedding Toasts Roasts Speeches]
885 words (2.5 pages)
- Humorous Wedding Speech for a Groom in Sales Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen - Today, I'd like to take this opportunity to pay tribute to a man who personifies intelligence, ambition, tact, generosity, and integrity. But it is John’s wedding so it's only fair that I talk about him as well. Laughter Now, I only met John a few years ago at university, meaning that I’ve had to rely on him perhaps more than I would have liked to get the details of his past. But apparently, the young John Cervoni was an exceptionally gifted child.... [tags: Wedding Toasts Roasts Speeches]
645 words (1.8 pages)
- Humorous Wedding Speech by a Friend of the Groom Good afternoon, Ladies and Gentlemen. I would first like to thank you all for coming today and helping to make Marcus and Adrian's wedding such a memorable and special occasion. Personally, I wish you'd all stayed at home and made my job less nerve wracking. When I was asked to be in the wedding party I decided that I needed to know what the role entailed. I have now read several books, and all of them include a last minute checklist to guarantee a smooth wedding.... [tags: Wedding Toasts Roasts Speeches]
760 words (2.2 pages)
- Humorous Wedding Speech by the Father of the Groom Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen - I must admit, I am more nervous about participating in this wedding than I was as the groom (bridegroom) at my own wedding. Maybe it's because I have been married thirty years and I know what my son is getting himself in to. Joking aside, I've had a wonderful marriage and I would like to remind David and Arba that it's a serious business, and shouldn't be entered into lightly - although, at his weight, my son certainly isn't doing that.... [tags: Wedding Toasts Roasts Speeches]
569 words (1.6 pages)
- Humorous Wedding Speech by the Father of the Groom Good evening. I would like to begin by welcoming each and every one of you to this joyous and stressful occasion. You know, while I was watching my son and future daughter-in-law suffer through the painful process of planning their wedding, I asked myself, “What would it be like if men were responsible for organizing weddings?” I’m guessing that my son might rename the "Rehearsal Dinner" to the "Rehearsal Dinner Kegger". The invitations would not read “Gracious dinning from 7 to 10” but rather, “Raucous Drinking from 7 until the cops show up.” Bridesmaids would wear matching blue jean cut-offs and halter tops – with more skin showing tha... [tags: Wedding Toasts Roasts Speeches]
473 words (1.4 pages)
- Humorous Wedding Speech for a Sister of the Groom Ladies and Gentlemen you'll be pleased to know I am only going to speak for a couple of minutes because of my throat..... if I go on too long Angie has threatened to cut it. However, before I begin, on behalf of John and Angie I would like to thank everyone who has helped to make this the special day that it is - and I think we can all agree it has been splendid so far. Well, I knew it would be difficult to follow a speech made by John and I was right ....... [tags: Wedding Toasts Roasts Speeches]
929 words (2.7 pages)
- Humorous Wedding Speech by the Father of the Groom Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen - I am the groom's father, Ken, and I have the great privilege of being best man. I have recently found out there are two reasons why J W asked me to do this job. 1) To make him look younger and slimmer in the photos. 2) Because he didn't want to burden any of his friends with the terrible prospect of having to give this speech. It's the speech that no one wants to do. The best man doesn't really know what he's expected to say and yet his speech is supposed to be humorous - but it might not be.... [tags: Wedding Toasts Roasts Speeches]
985 words (2.8 pages)
- Humorous and Casual Wedding Speech by the Groom They say marriage is an institution and therefore, it seems proper that I am about to be married since some of you have been saying I should have been institutionalized for years. Some of you may be concerned as to whether I am actually prepared marriage, but I want to assure you that I am fully aware of the changes that marriage will bring and to this end I have prepared a small list. 1. I understand that my rights to have a say in matters pertaining to decorating are revoked.... [tags: Wedding Toasts Roasts Speeches]
486 words (1.4 pages)
- Treatment of Minorities in Turkey
- Drinking Water and Irrigation Water Shortages in the Middle East
- Religious Pluralism in Turkey's Attempt to Become a Secular State
- State and Religious Institutions and the Turkish Education System
- History of Turkey and the European Union
- The Enforcement of International Law
For being there when wee needed him, my dad has always helped us out. Boney M had him in mind when they wrote "Daddycool.” Please raise your glasses and drink a toast. To my dad.
And last but not least, we come to the ushers. I've known these chaps for years and they have certainly done the business today. Let’s raise our glasses one more time please. To the ushers.
And now for the bit you've all been waiting for, the best man’s speech. I don't mind admitting I'm scared, please be kind. Over to you brother.